Media Room

Press Contacts:

Rick Engler, 973-845-6739 - REngler@shakespearenj.org
Sunil Ayyagari, 973-845-6743 - SAyyagari@shakespearenj.org

HIGH-RES PHOTOS ARE AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST

The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey Fact Sheet

Artistic Director - Bonnie J. Monte (since 1990) Bio

Profile
The acclaimed Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey is a professional theatre company in residence on the Drew University campus. New Jersey 's only professional theatre company dedicated to Shakespeare's canon and other world classics, it is one of the leading Shakespeare theatres in the nation, serving 100,000 adults and children annually. Through its distinguished productions and education programs, the company strives to illuminate the universal and lasting relevance of the classics for contemporary audiences.

The company's annual Main Stage season, presented in its intimate 308-seat F.M. Kirby Shakespeare Theatre in Madison, runs May through December. In the summer, an Outdoor Stage production is also presented, at a breathtaking open-air amphitheatre in Morris Township.

The Shakespeare Theatre's mission also places a strong emphasis on education. Among the company's 13 distinct education programs, the most far-reaching is the Shakespeare LIVE! educational touring company, which from February through June performs at schools and venues throughout New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and New York.

Mission
The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey is dedicated to Shakespeare's canon and other world classics. The theatre strives to illuminate the universal and lasting relevance of the classics for contemporary audiences, and its mission places an equal emphasis on education, for both young artists and audiences alike. In addition to presenting professionally produced plays, the company nurtures emerging new talent for the American stage by providing an outstanding training ground for students of the theatre, and cultivates an audience for the future by providing extensive outreach opportunities for students across New Jersey and beyond. Through its productions and education programs, The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey endeavors to promote literacy, civilization, community, cultural awareness, the theatrical tradition, and a more enlightened view of the world in which we live and the people with whom we share it.

Main Stage
The F.M. Kirby Shakespeare Theatre
36 Madison Avenue (at Lancaster Road, on the Drew University campus) in Madison, NJ

Outdoor Stage
2 Convent Station (on the College of Saint Elizabeth campus) in Morris Township, NJ

Accessibility
The F.M. Kirby Shakespeare Theatre is fully accessible to persons with disabilities. Facilities include wheelchair seating in both the orchestra and balcony sections. An infrared hearing device is available free of charge at all performances. Audio-described performances are offered at select productions. Large-print and Braille programs are available at the box office. To request a special accommodation, please phone the box office at 973-408-5600.

Audience Served
More than 100,000 adults and children are served annually through Main Stage performances (over 45,000 audience members), on-site education programs (5,000 participants), and touring performances and other outreach programs (55,000 participants).

Funding
The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey is a not-for-profit organization. It currently operates on an annual budget of $4.2 million. Ticket sales earn approximately 51% of the funds necessary to produce the company's artistic and educational work. The company must raise the remaining 49% through contributed gifts from government, foundation and corporate sources. Funding for The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey is provided in part by the New Jersey State Council on the Arts/Department of State, a Partner Agency of the National Endowment for the Arts and by funds from the National Endowment for the Arts as well as numerous corporations, foundations and individuals.

Public Information
Box office phone: 973-408-5600
Administrative phone: 973-845-6723
Group Sales phone: 973-845-6742
Travel directions: Call 973-408-5600 or visit our directions page.
E-mail: BoxOffice@ShakespeareNJ.org